CEO SUMMARY: Here’s a news-making event for the clinical laboratory industry: a first-ever national meeting of the country’s best sales and marketing managers. Scheduled as a new addition to the EXECUTIVE WAR COLLEGE on May 11-13, it’s an unprecedented opportunity for the nation’s brightest minds in laboratory sales and marketing to share knowledge, learn winning sales methods, and build personal networks.
Laboratory sales and marketing professionals will have their first national meeting in history when the Executive War College convenes on May 11 at the New Orleans Sheraton.
“In addition to the full War College program on lab and pathology management, we’ve added a special lab sales and marketing track,” said Robert Michel, Editor of THE DARK REPORT and host of the War College. “It fills a huge void in the professional training of laboratory sales and marketing professionals.”
Lab Sales Program
“It surprised me to learn that the laboratory industry has never had a national gathering for its sales and marketing professionals,” observed Kerry Kaplan, President of Health Care Connections of Wellesley, Massachusetts. “That’s why I volunteered to lead a full day program following the War College tailored specifically to the needs of sales managers and marketing directors.”
Kaplan’s company develops and manages marketing and sales pro- grams for HMOs, integrated delivery systems, and similar healthcare providers. He was a highly-rated speaker at last year’s War College.
“This sales and marketing track is designed to be a must-attend event for any laboratorian serious about operating a financially successful sales program,” noted Kaplan. “Our faculty presenters will share the secrets of how their sales programs are boosting revenues and profits at their laboratories.”
Kaplan also stressed that personal networking would be an important part of the sales program. “Sales and marketing people generally get their best information from informal conversations with peers working in different cities. That’s why there will be plenty of networking opportunities over the course of this event.”
The Executive War College will take place on May 11 and 12. This year’s program features over 30 presentations, including case studies by such laboratory organizations as Bay State Reference Laboratories, LabNet of Middle Tennessee, Tenet/SmithKline Beecham in Los Angeles, American Medical Laboratories, Dynacare Kasper Medical Laboratories, and Auckland Healthcare System of New Zealand.
“This is a great addition to the Executive War College program,” said Michel. “Increasingly we are attracting lab executives and pathologists from other countries besides the United States. The high level of information which is shared and the networking combine to make this a powerful program. Adding sales and marketing is a natural complement to the management tools available to laboratory executives.
“Early buzz and activity surrounding this year’s War College indicates that it will be probably the best lab and pathology management program we’ve presented to date!”
These Sales & Marketing Topics Added To This Year’s War College Program
Here is the roster of sales and marketing presentations scheduled for the Executive War College on May 11-13 at the New Orleans Sheraton Hotel.
- Creating & Managing Productive Lab/Pathology Sales Programs–Myles Standish, Regional Marketing Director, Dynacare-Laboratory, of Pathology
- Sales Compensation Plans That Motivate… and Bring in the Business– Randy Marfin, Business Development- Clinical Diagnostics, Luminex Corporation
- Selling Anatomic Pathology Services to Physician Offices: Using the Pathologist on the Marketing Team–Bruce Dziura, M.D., Medical Director, Bay State Reference Labs
- How Rural Hospitals Can Build a Thriving Lab Outreach Business–Eric Cook, Referral Program Manager, University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
- Outsourcing Hospital Lab Outreach Services and Sales–Joseph McCauley, Lab Director, West Hills Medical Center
- What Lab Sales/Marketing Managers Should Know About the Service Needs of HMOs and Managed Care Plans–John Monaghan, Director, Network Development, HMO Blue of BC/BS New Jersey
- Using Sales and Marketing to Boost Profitability of Clinical Labs and Pathology Practices–Kerry Kaplan, President, Health Care Connection
- Market Plans & Market Studies: How to Do Them and Win–Randy Marfin, Luminex Corporation
- Strategic Marketing of the Clinical Laboratory To Physicians’ Offices–Jack Finn, CEO, Centrex Clinical Laboratories
- How to Recruit and Train Top Lab Sales Reps–Myles Standish, Regional Marketing Director, Dynacare-Laboratory of Pathology
- Sophisticated Sales Compensation Plans for Managed Care Contracting– Randy Marfin, Luminex Corporation
- Marketing Anatomic Pathology Services to Physicians’ Offices–Bruce Dziura, M.D.,Medical Director, Bay State Reference Laboratories
- Positioning Your Lab With the Major Managed Care Players: Choosing Your Strategies, Knowing Your Strengths, Developing Your Plan–Kerry Kaplan, Facilitator