Coming soon to a theater near you this fall is the movie Pathology, with Rutger Hauer in the starring role as a pathologist. The Internet Movie database says Pathology (www.enterpathologylab.com) is the story of how medical students decide which of them can commit the perfect murder without being detected by other pathology students. In addition to Hauer, the movie stars Milo Ventimiglia and Alyssa Milano. The movie is listed as a “thriller.” No word yet on which real-life pathologist provided technical advice during the movie’s production.
- Oracle Diagnostic Laboratories of Davie, Florida is ranked 263rd on Entrepreneur magazines just-released “Hot 500” list of the “fastest growing companies in America” for
firms with annual sales of at least $1 million and demonstrating positive job growth over the four-year period 2002-2006.
- Sunrise Medical Laboratories of Hauppauge, New York, was named to Inc. magazine’s list of “5000 Fastest Growing Private Companies in America. The lab grew 48.7%, from $41.6 million to $61.9 million, between 2003 and 2006.
- In Albuquerque, New Mexico, S.E.D. Medical Laboratories named Kenneth Botta as CEO last month. Botta has long experience in the lab industry and most recently held an executive position at AmeriPath, Inc.
- There’s been an executive shake up at Westcliff Medical Laboratories in Santa Ana, California. Out is CEO Douglas Harrington, M.D., with current CFO Brian Urban taking over as acting CEO. The new President is Brad Stewart, an executive from one of the venture capital companies that funded Westcliff.
- Greg Clark, Ph.D., is now the Director of Technical Planning for Morph Design, Inc. of San Pedro, California. Clark was formerly COO at Oregon Medical Laboratories.
- Hughes Bakewell has returned to his consumer marketing roots as President of Direct Marketing Solutions at Quebecor World, Inc. of Montreal, Quebec. Until recently Bakewell was Vice President of Marketing at Quest Diagnostics Incorporated..
- Sysmex America Inc. of Mundelein, Illinois, announced the appointment of Ralph Taylor as Vice President of Marketing and Medical Affairs. Taylor had been at Beckman Coulter, Inc. for 18 years, most recently in the position of Vice President of Clinical Business Management.
Dark Daily Update
Have you caught the latest e-briefings from DARK Daily? If so, then you’d know about…
…Laboratory Corporation of America’s agreement to acquire Pathology Associates of Muncie, Indiana (a joint venture of Cardinal Health System & East Central Indiana Pathology Associates.)
You can get the free DARK Daily e-briefings by signing up at www.darkdaily.com.