Superman, the superhero of DC Comics and movies, recently gave a positive shout-out to lab professionals during the 45th Annual Lab Week. The American Society of Clinical Pathology (ASCP) gave its Lab Week recognition a theme of “Avengers of the Laboratory.” XIFIN, the revenue cycle management company in San Diego, joined in the fun by getting actor Dean Cain, who played Clark Kent/Superman in the TV series Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman, to film a video clip recognizing the contributions of medical laboratory professionals. The short video can be viewed at: https://www.xifin.com/info/lab-week-2021.
MORE ON: Superman and Avengers of the Lab
Sharp readers of The Dark Report will get extra credit for recognizing that The Avengers are comic book heros in the Marvel universe and Superman is a superhero in DC Comics’ Justice League.
GENE SEQUENCING BENCHMARK ANNOUNCED
Recently, the G10K-sponsored Vertebrate Genomes Project (VGP) announced completion and publication of a study representing a major step forward in gene sequencing. This study includes 16 diploid high-quality, near-error-free, and near-complete vertebrate reference genome assemblies for species across all taxa with backbones (e.g., mammals, amphibians, birds, reptiles, and fishes) developed from five years of piloting the first phase of the VGP project. Researchers focused on genome assembly quality and standardization for the field of genomics.
• Sherrie L. Perkins, MD, will retire as CEO of ARUP Laboratories, effective June 30, 2021. She has been with University of Utah School of Medicine and ARUP Labs for 25 years.
• Andy Theurer, currently President of ARUP Laboratories, will become CEO. Tracy George, MD, will become ARUP Laboratory’s President and will continue in her role as ARUP Laboratories’ Chief Medical Officer.
• Kerri McWeeny is the new Vice President of Marketing at Jumpcode Genomics of San Diego, Calif. She held prior positions with Illumina, MO BIO Laboratories, and GenVault Corporation.
• Accumen Inc. of of Phoenix, Ariz., announced that David Levine was promoted to Vice President of its 3DR Labs division. He previously served at TechSolve and Roadway Express.
• LabVantage Solutions of Somerset, N.J., appointed Mikael Hagstroem as its Chief Executive Officer. His previous positions were with Planet Smart City, MetricStream, McKinsey and Company, and SAS.
That’s all the insider intelligence for this report. Look for the next briefing on Monday, May 24, 2021.